Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sandwich Bread

Hello folks!  This Saturday I made some light wheat sandwich bread - perfect for the turkey and cheese I have in my fridge (and for the mango butter I bought on impulse at Trader Joe's).




This is the first time my sandwich loaf has turned out!  I've tried 3 different whole wheat recipes before abandoning ship and starting with a light wheat.  (The other attempts resulted in dense, super "healthy" tasting bread).

I think the keys to a perfect loaf are as follows:
- Make sure you're using the right kind of yeast.  I used active dry for this recipe.
- Make sure you're not over kneading the bread (difficult to do by hand, but isn't unrealistic if using the dough hook on the Kitchen Aid).
- Make sure you're letting the dough rise in a warm place (I think this was my downfall the first time).  I actually put the dough in my closet upstairs (because it is the warmest place and free from drafts - and it worked out perfectly!).
- Make sure your dough is touching all sides of the pan before the 2nd rise. 
- Make sure you're using the correct equipment.  I have 2 - 1lb. loaf pans from Chicago Metallic sized 8.5 x 4.5.  9x5 loaf pans (found in Target) were not working for me.  My mom bought me one pan from Sur La Table and I purchased a matching one from amazon.com
- Make sure after your second rise that the dough is cresting above the lip of the loaf pan.
- Make sure you've baked the bread until the internal temperature reaches 190*F.  When checking the temperature, make sure you're checking the temperature from the bottom of the loaf (i.e. take the loaf out of the pan and turn it upside down).

The recipe I used is from Annie's Eats - adapted from Smitten Kitchen - adapted from The Bread Baker's Apprentice. 

Enjoy!

Jessica

1 comment:

  1. Looks like it turned out great! Is that the mango butter? Bet it's yummy.

    ReplyDelete